Don’t you just love a good salad?
I know I do.
Tasty, healthy, cheap and perfect for any detox plan – there is no drawback to it.
Add to that the fact that it is so easy to prepare and we have a winner! Wouldn’t it be nice, however, to have it available whenever your craving strikes? To do the work once and enjoy the results for a whole week? We all would love that!
This is where keeping the salad in a jar comes in handy. The recipe I use is a delicious dish that has proven successful for any detox efforts. It allows me to store it for longer, while still providing the freshness that is so important for this meal.
BENEFITS OF KEEPING SALAD IN A JAR:
I’m not into putting my salads in a jar simply because they look cool (although I do admit the aesthetics helps!). There are many other reasons that make this sort of storage a good idea. Let’s take a look!
1. IT STAYS FRESH!
Since all the ingredients are well packed within the jar, the ingredients will last much longer than if you placed it, for example, in a salad bowl. Plus, if you choose the order carefully, they will complement one another to keep fresh. Whenever I make a batch of these jars, they last for up to a week – and then I make another round. Because guess what!…
2. IT IS DELICIOUS!
I could probably last for weeks at a time on eating just these salad jars. They’re healthy, colourful-looking and taste overall delicious! They have most of the nutrients that we need, from vitamins to protein, making them one of the best lunch or dinner options. And there’s nothing fancy about these kinds of assortments either because we’re going to reason number three:
3. THEY ARE EASY TO USE!
Everything fits neatly in the jar and looks far prettier. If your plan is to go somewhere (e.g. the gym) but you are hungry and short on time, all you have to do is open the fridge, grab the jar, shake and mix and you’ll be done with everything – including the eating – in just 10 minutes! They’re much quicker than preparing a regular lunch which will take at least half an hour. With this salad, you don’t even need to move the contents into a bowl as you can eat directly from the jar!
4. THEY ARE CHEAP TO MAKE!
A salad in a jar will cost you around $4 to make. A salad you buy from a food place will cost you twice that price. So why not save that money and make yet another one of these healthy jars? The price is definitely worth it.A salad in a jar will cost you around $4 to make. Click To Tweet
The facts speak for themselves; making a salad in a jar beats the regular one portion-salad you make or buy from a food shop. Be careful not to keep it for more than a week, though; it’s the law of food that it will eventually go bad if stored for too long.
HOW TO MAKE SALAD IN A JAR:
- chicken breast or thigh fillets
- activated almonds
- olive oil
The amounts for each of the ingredients are not fixed, as I prefer leaving them up to your own preferences and the size of your jars. Salads are so flexible that anyone can make them suit their taste.
HOW TO PREPARE THE SALAD:
1. Cook the chicken using whatever method you prefer. Personally, I do not do anything special here. Either baked or barbecued, with a few standard herbs added is enough for a tasty salad.
2. Chop your ingredients. I prefer medium size for the pieces, as I find that it allows me to feel the taste of each one better than when going they are too small.
3. Prepare your jars. I like using smaller ones, but you can choose any size as long as you have enough ingredients to fill them up.
4. Add some olive oil to the bottom. I just cannot imagine having a tasty salad of this kind without it.
5. Add the cucumbers on top of the olive oil – make sure they cover the bottom.
6. Now, you can add the radish.
7. Add the cooked chicken (it should not touch the oil).
8. Add the activated almonds.
9. Add the mushrooms.
10. Finally, add the kale and close the jars.
11. Store them in the fridge in order to keep them fresh. Consume the salad within a week.
12. Shake or mix before consuming.
Detox Deliciously with this Nutrient-Packed Salad in a Jar
Tasty, healthy, cheap and perfect for any detox plan.
- Chicken breast or thigh fillets
- Activated almonds
- Olive oil
- Cook the chicken.
- Chop your ingredients.
- Prepare your jars.
- Add some olive oil to the bottom.
- Add the cucumbers on top of the olive oil - make sure they cover the bottom.
- Add the radish.
- Add the cooked chicken (its meat should not touch the oil).
- Add the activated almonds.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Add the kale and close the jars.
- Store them in the fridge in order to keep them fresh. Consume the salad within a week.